Project cost ($):
1 hour to prepare, 1 day for science fair project
Table of Contents
This science fair project was performed to study the effect of green tea on the heartbeat of daphnia. The science project experiment was done by comparing green tea and Altace, a blood pressure medication.
Herbal green tea is able to reduce the heart beat of daphnia.
Antioxidants, fluoride, tannins, catechins, Altace
The materials required for this science fair project:
1. For this science project, the independent variable is the concentration of green tea and Altace solution. The dependent variable is the heart rate of the daphnia. This is determined by counting the heart beats per minute while viewing the daphnia under a microscope. The constants (control variables) are the room temperature, amount of water used and the concentration of the solutions.
4. The daphnia are separated onto the 8 slides with 20 daphnia specimens on each of the slides.
5. 3 drops of water are added on the 1st slide and then viewed under a microscope. The number of heartbeats per minute is counted for each daphnia while the assistant monitors the time with the stopwatch. The average heart beat per minute of the daphnia is calculated by totaling all the heartbeats and dividing by 20. The result is recorded in the table given below.
6. On the next slide, 3 drops of solution from the beaker labeled Tea0.1 are added. After 15 minutes the slide is placed under the microscope and the heartbeat of the daphnia are again counted as explained in procedure 4. The result is recorded in the table given below.
7. Procedure 3 is repeated using 3 drops of solution from the beakers labeled Tea1.0, Tea10, Altace 0.1, Altace1.0 and Altace10 and placing them on different slides. The heartbeat is counted and the results are recorded in the table.
The results showed that adding green tea and Altace solution reduced the heartbeat of the daphnia. The higher concentration of the solution resulted in a slower heartbeat per minute. The green tea was also able to reduce the heartbeat rate more than the Altace solution of the same concentration.
Use the graph below to plot the results of the above observations.
The hypothesis that herbal green tea reduces the heart beat of daphnia is proven to be true.
The science fair project can also be done by using different types of herbs like garlic or ginger.
Green herbal tea - http://theherbaldigest.com/tag/rregular-heartbeat/