Does sambucus extract help cure the flu?
The materials required for the experiment are as follows:
- 30 participants who have the common cold
- a treadmill
- a stopwatch
- 140 200mg tablets of vitamin C
- 2100ml of Nature's Way Sambucus extract
- 1400 placebo tablets
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is to be the type of medicine the participants take (vitamin C tablets, Sambucus extracts or placebo tablets). The dependent variable is to be the amount of time the participants take to recover from the common cold. Observe the participants everyday, looking out for their flu symptoms. The following are to constitute the constants (control variables): all participants should be observed from the time they first display symptoms of the flue. They should be given the supplements at the same dosage level. They should be observed for the same length of time.
2. Select 30 participants who have fallen ill . If it is not possible to find participants who have fallen ill at the same time, start the test on different dates but count the day on which each participant falls ill as the first day.
3. Divide the participants into 3 groups of 10. The groups are to given the following treatments:
a. Each participant in Group 1 is to be given a vitamin C tablet a day.
b. Each participant in Group 2 is to be given 15ml of Sambucus extract a day.
c. Each participant in Group 3 is to be given a placebo tablet a day.
4. Give the participants the supplements everyday. For the next 14 days, observe them for their cold symptoms. Total the number of participants who still suffer from flu after 14 days and record this in the table below.
Be careful not to exceed the prescribed dosage of Sambucus/Vitamin C. Wash your hands frequent and wear masks to prevent spreading of the influenza virus, when dealing with the participants