Effect of Bird's Eye chili(i.e. capsicum frutescen) on Gryllus assimilis (the common black cricket)
The materials required for this science project are:
- 4 empty aquarium tanks with a cover each
- A plastic container
- 40 crickets
- A food grinder
- 4 spray dispensers
- 100 grams of Bird's Eye chili
- 400ml of distilled water
- 4 beakers
- 1 measuring cylinder
- A black marker pen
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is the concentration of the Bird's Eye chili extract– 100%, 75%, 50% and 25%. The dependent variable is the number of crickets that remain alive in the tank. This is determined by observing and counting the number of crickets which survive the experiment. The constants (control variables) are the size of the tank, the species of crickets and the volume of Bird's Eye chili extract that is used on each tank of crickets.
2. 40 crickets are caught and kept in a plastic container. 100grams of Bird's Eye chili is purchased from the supermarket.
3. The tanks, beakers and spray dispensers are labeled as “100%”, “75%”, “50%” and “25%” according to the concentration of the Bird's Eye chili extract used.
4. Grind 100grams of Bird's Eye chili and add 250ml of distilled water whilst grinding. The juice is extracted and poured in a measuring cylinder. Pour 100ml of the ground Bird's Eye chili extract into the beaker labeled “100%”,. Into the beaker labeled “75%”,75ml Bird's Eye chili juice is mixed with an additional 25ml of water. The beaker marked “50%” will contain 50ml of Bird's Eye chili juice mixed with an additional 50ml of water. The beaker marked “25%” will contain 25ml of Bird's Eye chili juice mixed with an additional 75ml of water.
5. The Bird's Eye chili juice is poured into the respective spray dispensers.
6. 10 crickets are placed in each of the 4 tanks. The Bird's Eye chili juice is sprayed into the 4 tanks. The respective concentrations of Bird's Eye chili are sprayed 5 times in each tank. The number of crickets that remain alive every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours are counted and the results are recorded in the table given below.
Avoid letting the chili juice come into contact with your eyes or other sensitive parts of your skin. Wear safety goggles as as precaution. Ensure that you use gloves when handling the chili.