Imagination and gender
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 20 male art students age 18 years
- 20 female art students age 18 years
- 40 pieces of drawing paper
- 40 pencils
- A classroom
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the gender of the participants. The dependent variable is the imagination of the participants. This is determined by asking the art students to draw a picture from their imagination and asking the art teacher to evaluate the quality of their work. The constants (control variables) are the given topic for the drawing, the lighting in the room and the type of drawing paper and pencil provided.
2. The 40 arts students are assigned random numbers between 1 and 40. A list of the participants name, gender and assigned number is made.
3. All 40 arts students are assembled in the classroom and asked to sit at their tables. They are each given a piece of drawing paper and a pencil. The students are informed not to write their names on the front or back of the drawing paper. They are advised to write only the number that they were assigned to, at the back of the paper.
4. The art students are asked to come up with a new cartoon character out of their imagination. They are given 2 hours to think about the new cartoon character and draw their creation on the drawing paper.
5. After 2 hours the drawings are collected. The back of the drawing paper is also checked at the same time to verify if the participants have written down their assigned numbers. All 40 drawings are given to the art teacher to be graded. The grading of the art work will be based on the originality and creativity of the cartoon character created.
6. The graded drawings are collected and separated into drawings by male and female participants. The average grades for each gender is calculated and recorded in the table below.