Hair color and static
The materials required for the science fair project:
- 1 balloon
- 1 copper plate 200mm x 300mm
- 1 ground connection
- 1 jumper wire with a crocodile clip at each end
- 1 black hair wig made from natural hair
- 1 brown hair wig made from natural hair
- 1 blond hair wig made from natural hair
- 1 red hair wig made from natural hair
- a flat tray
- 1 ruler
- 1 piece of letter size paper
- 1 pen knife
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the color of hair tested – black, brown, blond and red hair. The dependent variable is the number of pieces of paper picked up by the balloon. This is determined by counting the number of pieces of paper sticking to the balloon. The constants (control variables) are the size of the balloon, the number of times the balloon in rubbed on the wigs and the weight of the bits of paper.
2. Using the jumper wire, the copper plate is connected to the ground. Using the ruler and pen knife, the letter size paper is cut into small square pieces of paper measuring 5mm x 5mm. The static electricity in the pieces of paper is discharged by placing them on the grounded copper plate. The pieces of paper are then placed on the flat tray.
3. The balloon is inflated and rubbed on the grounded copper plate in order to discharge its static electricity.
4. The black, brown, blond and red natural hair wigs will be used in this science fair project. The thickness and type of hair should be as similar as possiblefor all 3 wigs.
5. First the balloon is rubbed against the black hair wig 6 times in one direction. The charged balloon is then placed on the tray to see how many pieces of paper will attach itself to the balloon.. The pieces of paper attached to the balloon are collected, counted and the number recorded. The test is repeated 5 times and the average number of pieces of paper attached to the balloon is calculated and recorded in the table given below.
6. The static electricity on the pieces of paper and the balloon are then discharged again on the copper plate. Procedure 5 is repeated using the brown, blond and red hair wigs. The average results are calculated and recorded in the table given below.