Iron supplements and endurance
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 20 women age 20 to 25 years who have iron deficiencies
- a practicing doctor, to help test the participants for iron deficiency
- A treadmill
- A stopwatch
- 140 tablets of iron supplements , 100mg each
- 140 tablets of placebo
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is whether the participant is given the iron tablets, or not. The dependent variable is the time taken by the women to run 5 km on the treadmill. The time taken by the women to run the 5 km is measured with a stopwatch. The constants (control variables) are the age of the participants, the distance the participants have to run on the treadmill, the length of time they have been taking the supplement and the dosage of the supplements.
2. Twenty women athletes between ages 20 to 25 years old are selected to take part in this experiment. All of them are examined by the doctor and blood tests are taken to confirm that they have iron deficiencies.
3. The women are made to run 5 km on the treadmill and their timings recorded. They are then divided into 2 groups of 10 persons each so that the average time for running 5 km on the treadmill in each group is almost the same. The average time is calculated by totaling the time taken by all the runners in the group and dividing by 10. Their groups are labeled Group 1 and Group 2 respectively. Their average time is recorded in the table given below.
4. The women in Group 1 are made to take 1 tablet of iron supplement daily for the next 2 weeks while the women in Group 2 are made to take 1 tablet of placebo each day. During the two weeks, the women are allowed the same amount of time for exercise/training. Ensure that training is moderately intensive, at the very most.
5. At the end of 2 weeks, the women are made to run 5 km on the treadmill again. Their individual times are noted and the new average time for each group is calculated. The results are recorded in the table given below.
Ensure that a doctor is consulted before the iron supplements are prescribed to the participants.