The density of Coca-Cola
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 1 empty aquarium tank
- 1 pail of tap water (we will use about 5 liters)
- 1 can of regular coke
- 1 can of diet coke
- 1 kg of sugar
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is the density of the regular coke and diet coke. The dependent variable is whether the can will float or sink in water. This is determined by observing the cans after they are placed in the water. The constants (control variables) are the density of the water, the temperature of the water and volume of the tank.
2. The water tank is filled with 5 liters of water. The depth of the water in the tank must be at least 150mm.
3. The cans of regular coke and diet coke are placed in the water.
4. Observation is made to ascertain whether the cans float or sink in the water - these observations are recorded in the table below.
5. The 1 kg of sugar is dissolved in the water inside the fish tank.
6. Observe whether the cans float or sink in the water and record the finding in the table below.