Fire resistant balloons
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 1 matchbox
- 1 candle
- 1 yellow colored balloon
- 1 blue colored balloon
- Half a cup of water
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is whether the balloon is filled with water or not. The dependent variable is what happens to the balloon when it is placed above the lit candle. This is determined by observing the balloon. The constants (control variables) are how much the balloon is inflated and the amount of water in the balloon.
2. Inflate the yellow colored balloon and tie it up.
3. Pour half a cup of water into the blue colored balloon before inflating it to the same size as the yellow color balloon and tie it up.
4. Light up the candle. Be careful when using match sticks to avoid causing fires, or burning yourself.
5. Hold the yellow colored balloon on top of the lit candle. Observe and record what happens.
6. Hold the blue colored balloon on top of the lit candle. Observe and record what happens.
Handle matchsticks and candles carefully. Adult supervision is required.