Age and memory
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 10 boys 10 years of age
- 10 girls 10 years of age
- 10 men between 30 to 40 years of age
- 10 women between 30 to 40 years of age
- 20 flash cards
- 20 sheets of paper
- 20 pens
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the age of the participants – child or adult. The dependent variable is the ability of the participant to remember the contents of the flash cards. This is determined by asking the participant to write down what he saw on the flash card. The constants (control variables) are the duration of time for which they are allowed to look at the flash cards and the number of flash cards used.
2. One set of flash cards containing 20 cards is used in this experiment.
3. The 20 children and 20 adults are made to sit in the same room. The flash cards are shown to them one at a time. The participants are allowed to look at each flash card for only 10 seconds before the next card is shown to them.
4. After all 20 flash cards are shown, the participants are each given a pen and a sheet of paper. They are given 10 minutes to recall what they saw on the flash cards and to write it down on the paper.
5. After the 10 minutes is over, the sheets of paper are collected from the participants for analysis. The number of correct answers is counted and recorded.
Basic safety requirements