Effect of music on plant growth
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 1 packet of radish seeds
- 2 plastic pots
- Soil required for the 2 pots
- A CD player
- A classical music CD
- tap water
- Ruler (1 meter)
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the musical stimulation given to the plants. The dependent variable is the growth of the radish plants. This is determined by measuring the height of the 10 plants in each group and calculating their average height. The constants (control variables) are the amount of water used, the amount of sunlight received and the type of plants used.
2. The 2 pots are filled with the same amount of soil and labeled A and B respectively. Ten radish seeds are placed in each pot. (More than 10 radish seeds can be used in each pot in case some of the seeds do not germinate. Once they start to geminate, remove the unwanted plants from the pots). The radish seeds are placed at least 20mm away from each other in the same pot.
3. The pots are both placed where they are able to receive the same amount of sunlight every day. Both pots are also watered with the same amount of water, twice everyday.
4. The pot labeled A is placed beside the CD player for 3 hours everyday with classical music being played. At the same time, the pot labeled B is kept away from the musical sound.
5. The height of the plants is measured everyday and their average height is calculated and recorded in the table given below.
Basic safety requirements