The materials required for this science fair project are as follows:
- 50 participants (be sure to engage participants of different genders and ages)
- 50 plastic spoons
- 50 blindfolds
- 1 kg salt
- 1 kg sugar
- 50 limes
- 1 kg bitter chocolate (without sugar)
- a knife
1. For this science fair project, the independent variable is the type of food given to participants (sugar, salt, lime juice and bitter chocolate). Each participant is to tell the tester which food he/she tastes most acutely. These choices are the dependent variable. The constants (control variables) are the amount of food the participants are given and the number of participants.
2. 50 participants are engaged. Select participants from both genders, and from different ages.
3. The participants are tested one at a time. The first participant is blindfolded. This is because we don't want them to know what they will taste.
4. The participant is first given a spoon of sugar. He is to rinse his mouth to get rid of the taste.
5. Next, the participant is given a spoon of salt. After tasting the salt, he/she is asked which sample tasted more acutel\. Have the participant rinse his mouth again.
6. The lime is to be cut into half and squeezed. The participant is given the lime juice on a spoon Which sample is tasted the most acutely? Again, have the participant rinse his mouth.
7. Finally the participant is given a spoon of bitter chocolate. After tasting the bitter chocolate, he is asked which sample tasted the most acute. Record his choice in the table below.
8. Procedures number 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are repeated with the remaining 49 participants. Their choices are tabulated and recorded in the table below.
Basic safety requirements