Comparing the intelligence of female and male dogs
The materials required for this science fair project are as follows:
- 3 male German Shepherd's
- 3 female German Shepherd's
- 6 towels
- 6 empty boxes
- a dog trainer or the dog owners
- a box of dog biscuits
- a stopwatch
1. For this science fair project, the independent variables are the gender of the dogs and the type of test done on the dogs. The dependent variable is the length of time the dogs take to complete the tasks they are given. This is measured using a stopwatch. The constants (control variables) are the breed of the dogs and the dog biscuit rewards given.
2. The dogs are accompanied by either a trainer or their owners at all times whilst the tests are being performed. Be extremely careful with German Shepherds as they can be very aggressive if provoked or agitated. And their bite can be lethal. They should be leashed and handled firmly at all times.
3. The following tests are performed on the dogs.
a. Test 1- The dog is shown the dog biscuit and allowed to smell it. The dog biscuit is then placed under the empty box, with the dog watching. The length of time the dog takes to retrieve the biscuit is measured using the stopwatch.
b. Test 2- The dog’s face is covered with a towel. It is made to sniff out this towel, before the towel is placed over its face. The length of time the dog takes to remove the towel from its face is measured using the stopwatch.
c. Test 3- The dog is shown the dog biscuit and allowed to smell it. The dog biscuit is then placed beneath the towel, with the dog watching. The length of time the dog takes to retrieve the biscuit is measured using the stopwatch.
4. Follow the scoring scheme below:
b. If the dog takes less than 20 seconds, award it 4 points.
c. If the dog takes less than 40 seconds, award it 3 points.
d. If the dog takes less than 60 seconds, award it 2 points.
e. If the dog takes more than 60 seconds, award it 1 point.
5. Each dog's score is recorded in the table below. The total score is tabulated and recorded.
Take extra precaution when dealing with animals you are not familiar with, to avoid getting bitten. Although they are extremely intelligent, German Shepherds can be temperamental and unpredictable if not handled properly. Make sure that the trainer or owner handles the dog at all times.