The materials required for this science fair project:
- A registration book for students to write their names
- A pen
- An authorization letter from the school principal, granting permission to meet with all the students in their classrooms
- A register of all the student names, in each class
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is the student’s class. The dependent variable is the number of kleft-handers. This is verified by observing them when they write their names. The constants (control variables) are the age of the students and the gender ratio (the ratio between boys and girls) of the students. You should ensure that the classes consist of students of the same age, and an equal mix of boys and girls.
2. Two classes will be visited each day.
3. The students are requested to write their names in the registration book one at a time. While they are writing, observation is made, of the hand they use to write. This is recorded in the registrar containing all the student names.
4. Procedures 3 and 4 are repeated with the remaining 5 classes over 3 days.
5. Once all the students in the 6 classes have written their names, the number of right handed students and left-handed students in each class is recorded in the table below. The total number of students is also recorded in the table.
6. The percentage of left-handed students is calculated as shown in the formula below and recorded in the same table.
Percent of left-handed student = (Number of left hander in class)/ (Total student in class) x 100%