What affects the boiling point of water?
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 1 high rise building at least 50 storeys high
- 1 hot plate
- 1 stove
- 8 beakers
- 1800ml water
- 1 air-conditioned room
- 1 thermometer
1. For this science fair project, the independent variables are the conditions for boiling the water - different amounts of water, diffenent types of heating devices, different room temperatures and different floor level of a building. The dependent variable is the boiling temperature of water. This is determined by measuring the temperature using the thermometer. The constants (control variables) are the beaker used to contain the water, the impurities in the water and the heating capacity of the stove and hot plate.
2. The science project experiment is done in 4 stages to compare the boiling point of water :
a. using different amounts of water,
b. using different types of heating devices,
c. using different room temperatures,
d. test at different floors of a high rise building to ensure that the air pressure is different.
3. For the 1st experiment, 2 beakers are used. The amount of water poured into each beaker is 200ml and 400ml. The water is boiled on a hot plate and the boiling temperature is recorded . The measurements are recorded in the table below.
4. For the 2nd experiment, 2 beakers are each filled with 200ml water. One of the beakers is heated up on the hot plate and the other beaker is heated on the stove. The boiling temperatures are measured and recorded in the table below.
5. For the 3rd experiment, another 2 beakers are filled with 200ml water each. The room temperature is brought to 18°C and the water is boiled on the hot plate and the temperature is recorded. The room temperature is then adjusted to 28°C and the water in the 2nd beaker is brought to boil on the hot plate and the temperatures are recorded in the table below.
6. The 4th experiment is carried out in a high rise building. 200ml water is filled into the 1st beaker and brought to a boil using the hot plate, on the ground floor. The 2nd beaker is filled with 200ml water and taken to the 50th floor of the building and brought to boil using the hot plate. Both temperature measurements are recorded in the table below.
Always handle boiling water with extreme care to avoid getting burned. Adult assistance is required.