All Science Fair Projects

Over 1000 FREE Science Fair Project Ideas!

Rats! They ate my cables again!Featured science projectScience project video

Conclusion

The hypothesis  that rats  prefer to bite  telephone  and  PVC wires is proven to be true.

A large percentage of fires in buildings in the USA are believed to be caused by rodents like rats, mice and squirrels. Because their teeth are  constantly growing, rats need to chew constantly. When  rats chew on power cables and expose the copper cores, they risk electrocution. The sparks emitted can ignite a fire if there are any flammable materials in the vicinity.

Also consider

Would your results differ if this science fair project were to be repeated using different types of animals like mice or squirrels?

The science project can be repeated with different types of wires – eg Teflon coated wires.

References

How to stop rats from chewing house wiring - http://www.ehow.com/how_5712971_stop-rats-chewing-house-wiring.html

Rodents and fires - http://www.homeinspectionsbyjerrykellyiii.com/RodentsFires.html

See our all-time most popular science projects
Search science fair projects Browse science fair projects
popular science fair projects
Complexity level:
8
Project cost ($):
50
Time required:
1 day to prepare, 2 days for the science project experiment
Material availability:
Easily found
Safety concerns:

Live electrical wires  gnawed by  rats can become exposed and cause short circuits or electrocution. Ensure that no flammable materials or gasses are within reach, and perform this experiment in a well ventilated laboratory under the care of a qualified adult. Disconnect ALL  electrical connections before handling the cables. Ensure that protective gear (insulating gloves)/goggles are used. Rats should be handled with care as they bite!