Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
|Divisors||1, 2, 5, 10|
|Unicode representation of Roman numeral||Ⅹ, ⅹ|
|prefixes||deca-/deka- (from Greek)|
Ten is the base of the decimal numeral system, by far the most common system of denoting numbers in both spoken and written language. Any integer written in the decimal system can be multiplied by ten by adding a zero to the end (eg 855 * 10 = 8550). The reason for the choice of ten is assumed to be that humans have ten fingers (digits).
The Chinese word numeral for ten is 十, which resembles a cross.
A collection of ten items (most often ten years) is called a decade.
Ten is the sum of the first three prime numbers.
Ten is the number of n-Queens Problem solutions for n = 5.
In numeral systems
|over 10 (hexadecimal)||A|
- The atomic number of neon
- The number of carbon atoms in Decane, a hydrocarbon.
- The number of spacetime dimensions in superstring theory.
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 10 , a magnitude 12.5 spiral galaxy in the constellation Sculptor
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -2467 February 28 and ended on -1169 April 18. The duration of Saros series 10 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 solar eclipses.
- The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on -2454 June 17 and ended on -1138 August 15. The duration of Saros series 10 was 1316.2 years, and it contained 74 lunar eclipses.
In other fields
A decapod crustacean has ten limbs.
To reduce something by one tenth is to decimate. (In ancient Rome, the killing of one in ten soldiers was the punishment for mutiny.)
The denomination of Canadian paper money bearing a portrait of Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first Prime Minister. In chess, each side can promote all eight pawns to have a total of ten bishops, knights, or rooks.
People were traditionally tithed one tenth of their produce.
It takes ten to make a minyan.
With ten being the base of the decimal system, a scale of 1 to 10 is often used to rank things, as a smaller version of a 1-to-100 scale (as is used in percentages and wine-tasting).
Something that scores perfectly is "a perfect ten". A person who is attractive and physically flawless is often said to be "a ten", from the idea of ranking that person's appearance and sex-appeal on a 1-to-10 scale. E.g. In the movie 10 Bo Derek is supposedly a "10" on that scale.
Counting from one to ten before speaking is often done in order to cool one's temper.
Driving a racing car at ten-tenths is driving as fast as possible, on the limit.
- Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period
- House number of Number 10 Downing Street
- ASCII and Unicode code point for line feed
- The number of Commandments from God to man in Mosaic law. (Exodus 20:2-17, Exodus 34:12-26, and Deuteronomy 5:6-21)
- There are said to be ten "Lost Tribes" of Israel.
- The designation of United States Interstate 10, a freeway that runs from California to Florida.
- The title of quite a few albums, including recordings by Pearl Jam and LL Cool J. See Ten (album).
- Historical years: 10 A.D., 10 B.C., or 1910
- A Japanese comic: Ten (comic)
- "ten." is an abbreviation for tenuto , a musical direction.
- In rugby union the fly-half wears the 10 shirt.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details