Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The twenty-second century comprises the years 2101 to 2200. This is almost the same as the twenty-one hundreds, which is the time between 2100 and 2199. (Because there was no year 0, this is not the same as the 22nd century, although some people incorrectly treat it as so).
See also: Future
Astronomical predictions for the 22nd century
- The Earth will experience 239 lunar eclipses.
- A total solar eclipse exceeding 7 minutes of totality will occur on June 25, 2150. This will be the first time this has happened in 177 years. But eclipse fans will not have to wait nearly so long for it to happen again - on July 5, 2168 an eclipse with 7min 26sec of totality will occur, and on July 16, 2186 an eclipse of 7min 29sec - close to the theoretical maximum - will occur. This is predicted to be the longest eclipse during the 8,000 year period from 3000 BC to AD 5000 (eclipse predictions by Fred Espenak, NASA/GSFC.DEPP).
- December 11th, 2117: Transit of Venus
- 2123: Triple conjunction Mars-Jupiter
- September 14th, 2123: At 15:28 UTC Venus will occult Jupiter
- December 8th, 2125:Transit of Venus
- July 29th, 2126: At 16:08 UTC Mercury will occult Mars
- December 3rd, 2133: At 14:14 UTC Mercury will occult Venus
- Comet Halley will return to the inner solar system in 2134.
- 2148: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn
- 2170: Triple conjunction Mars-Jupiter
- Given that Pluto's orbit is approximately 248 Earth years, the year 2178 will mark the 1st Plutonian anniversary since the planet's discovery.
- 2185: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn
- 2187: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn
- September 2nd, 2197: Venus occults Spica (last occulttion of Spica by Venus November 10th, 1783)
Science fiction set in the 22nd century
Literature (novels, short stories, comic books)
- Distress by Greg Egan
- Heads and Moving Mars, books by Greg Bear
- Kaleidoscope Century by John Barnes (frame story)
- Rendezvous with Rama, a book by Arthur C. Clarke
- When Gravity Fails, a book by George Alec Effinger
- Strontium Dog, a 2000 AD story.
- Crisis in 2140 (serialized as Null-ABC) by H. Beam Piper and John J. McGuire
Television and film
- Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD, a Doctor Who film
- Mobile Suit Gundam, a Japanese anime television series (It is known that the UC timeline begins in 2081. This would place the One Year War (UC 0079) occurring in 2159 .)
- Gundam X, an alternate universe "what-if" of Mobile Suit Gundam where the Earth Federation lost the One Year War (called the Seventh Space War in GX), takes place in 2174 , assuming the Seventh Space War took place at the same time as the One Year War.
- Gundam Seed, an alternate-universe version of Mobile Suit Gundam (the Cosmic Era calendar begins about 10 years after the predicted oil crash of the mid-21st century, placing the beginning of the CE calendar sometime between 2040 and 2090, the series would therefore take place sometime between 2111 and 2161).
- Phil of the Future, a Disney Channel series. (Diffys are from this era (2121) before they crash in 2004; theme song refers to Phil as a "22nd Century man".)
- Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, an animated television series with Sherlock Holmes in a science fiction setting
- According to Star Trek, the Earth-Romulan War will be fought between 2156 and 2160, which results in the establishment of the United Federation of Planets and Starfleet in 2161. Star Trek also predicts human colonization of Mars by 2103.
- Star Trek: Enterprise (2151-?). The first starship capable of reaching Warp 5 is launched from Earth, leading to unprecedented exploration of space, including first contacts with the Klingons, Andorians, and Romulans. According to this series, an area of Earth stretching from Florida to Venezuela will be devastated by an alien attack in 2153 , resulting in the death of 4 million people.
- Doom, the events of the computer games take place.
- Zero Wing (of All Your Base fame) starts in 2101.
- Mach Rider a Nintendo Entertainment System game that is set in 2112.
- System Shock 2 is set in 2114 .
- Alien Legacy, the launch of the Seedship UNS Calypso takes place in 2119.
- Alien Legacy, the launch of the Seedship UNS Tantalus takes place in 2135.
- Earth 2150, The Earth is destroyed at the end of this year in said series.
- The Ur-Quan Masters starts on February 172155 .
- Fallout, a computer game that begins in 2161.
Decades and years
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details