Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
It is a prime number, the first irregular prime, a unique prime as well as a cuban prime of the form p = (x3 - y3) / (x - y),x = y + 1. It is a factor of all 3-digit base 10 repdigits, such as 111. It is a centered hexagonal number and a star number.
Every positive integer is the sum of at most 37 fifth powers (see Waring's problem).
- The atomic number of rubidium.
- The normal human body temperature in degrees Celsius.
- In astronomy,
- Messier object M37, a magnitude 6.0 open cluster in the constellation Auriga
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 37 , a spiral galaxy in the constellation Phoenix
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -1794 June 25 and ended on -496 August 12. The duration of Saros series 37 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 solar eclipses.
- The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on -1492 April 3 and ended on -194 May 22. The duration of Saros series 37 was 1298.1 years, and it contained 73 lunar eclipses.
In other fields
- Part of the code for international direct dial phone calls to several smaller European countries.
- The number of the French department Indre-et-Loire.
- The number of slots in European Roulette.
- I-37 is the designation for a US interstate highway in Texas.
- The number used in a certain magic trick. In this trick the magician asks a person to think of a number that meets the following criteria: a. must be between 1 and 50, b. must have two digits, c. both digits must be odd, d. both digits cannot be the same. Only eight numbers meet these criteria: 13, 15, 17, 19, 31, 35, 37, and 39. Statistically, people will pick 37 over any of the other numbers. Therefore, the magician can use this probability to create the effect of mind-reading. Of course, it doesn't always work, but when it does, it provides for a very startling effect.
- The year A.D. 37, 37 BC, or 1937.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details