Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Abbey Road Studios
Abbey Road Studios, created in November of 1931 by EMI in London, England, is best known as the legendary recording studio used by the rock bands, Cliff Richard and the Shadows and The Beatles. The studios are located in Abbey Road, in St John's Wood in the City Of Westminster.Georgian town house in 1831, the premises were acquired by The Gramophone Company in 1931 and converted into studios. The neighbouring house is also owned by the studio and used to house musicians. The Gramophone Company later amalgamated with Columbia Records to form EMI which took over the studios. The studios were then known as EMI studios until they changed their name to Abbey Road Studios formally in the 1970s.
Studio Two at Abbey Road became the centre of rock music in 1958 when Cliff Richard and the Drifters (later Cliff Richard and the Shadows), recorded what is held as being the first European rock 'n' roll single made. It also heralded the beginnings of a change from "rock 'n' roll" to "Rock". In the time between 1958-1963, Cliff Richard and the Shadows rejuvenated the studios, breaking with convention, originating overnight recording sessions, allowing new recording techniques. The group opened up the studios to loud, heavy guitar driven music, allowing an easy entrance for the not quite so "heavy rockish" sounds of the Beatles. The Beatles also found great success in Studio Two, and during the early to mid 60s, the Beatles and Cliff and the Shadows became practically joint owners of the studio, each battling friendly for recording time.
The Beatles also named their 1969 album, Abbey Road, after the studio. The cover photo for that album was taken outside Abbey Road studios. Studio Two was also used by Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon), the Hollies, Manfred Mann, the Seekers, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Martin Briley and others.
The chief mastering engineer at Abbey Road is Chris "Vinyl" Blair, who started his career early on as a tape deck operator. He worked his way up the ranks to get to the top. A highlight of Chris's career was receiving an award for Radiohead's Kid A.
Abbey Road Studios got its start in the film scoring business in 1980, when Anvil Post Production formed a partnership with the studio, called Anvil-Abbey Road Screen Sound. The partnership started when Anvil was left without a scoring stage when Korda Studios were demolished. It ended in 1984, when EMI merged with Thorn to become Thorn EMI.
Abbey Road's success in the scoring business continued after the partnership ended. Films whose scores were recorded at the studios include:
- 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark
- 1983 Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
- 1984 Ladyhawke
- 1985 Brazil, A Room with a View
- 1986 The Jewel of the Nile , Shanghai Surprise, Aliens
- 1987 Madame Sousatzka , The Last Emperor
- 1988 A Man For All Seasons, Shirley Valentine, Willow
- 1990 Memphis Belle, Shining Through
- 1991 City Of Joy , The Fisher King
- 1992 The Endangered
- 1993 The Man without a Face , M. Butterfly, The Innocent
- 1994 Immortal Beloved, Interview with the Vampire, Little Women , The Madness of King George
- 1995 Apollo 13, Brassed Off, Braveheart, Talk Of Angels
- 1996 Carla’s Song , The Crucible, GI Jane
- 1997 Deep Impact, Desperate Measures , Event Horizon, Lost In Space, Titanic Town , Virus , Wilde
- 1998 Hilary and Jackie, Jakob the Liar , Practical Magic, Prince Of Egypt, What Dreams May Come
- 1999 Bicentennial Man, Chocolat, Dogma, Eyes Wide Shut, I Dreamed of Africa, Message in a Bottle , Notting Hill , Rules of Engagement, Sleepy Hollow, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, The Talented Mr. Ripley
- 2000 13 Days , Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Chicken Run, Hollow Man, Rugrats in Paris: The Movie, Shrek
- 2001 From Hell, The Fellowship of the Ring, We Were Soldiers
- 2002 Four Feathers , Gangs of New York, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, The Two Towers, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, The Hours / The Life of David Gale, Thunderpants, Punch-Drunk Love
- 2003 Agent Cody Banks: Destination London, Bon Voyage , Johnny English, Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen / The Return of the King / Proof / Sinbad / Veronica Guerin
- 2004 Around The World In 80 Days / Cold Mountain / Beyond the Sea / Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban / Mona Lisa Smile / Sylvia / Phantom of the Opera / Birth / King Arthur / Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow / Alfie / The Edge of Reason
Abbey Road Film Festival
In March/April 2005 Abbey Road Studios held a film festival. It included a tour of Studio One and Studio Two (excluding control rooms). They displayed several films in Studio One associated with the studio and a photographic exhibition in Studio Two. Also on display were several microphones, two upright pianos and a Hammond Organ.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details