Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Adolphus was opened on October 5, 1912, built by the leader of the Anheiser-Busch company, Adolphus Busch in a Beaux Arts style designed by Barnett, Hayes and Barnett of St. Louis. Busch's goal with the construction of the hotel was to build the first grand and posh hotel in the city of Dallas. With 21 floors standing at 312 feet, the building was immediately the tallest building in Texas until it was dwarfed by the Magnolia Petroleum Building (now the Magnolia Hotel) just down the street in 1923. The building underwent a series of expansions, first in 1916, then 1926 and finally in 1950, at the time giving the hotel a total of 1,200 rooms.
In the 1930s, various venues of the Adolphus played host to many big band musicians of the era, including Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller. The Adolphus has been the host of many respected leaders of business, government and entertainment, including many presidents, from Warren G. Harding to George H. W. Bush. Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip also stayed at the hotel in 1991.
During the 1980s, the Adolphus underwent at $80 million renovation, enlarging and modernizing the already-luxurious guestrooms. It also shrunk the total number of guestrooms to 428.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details