Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
"Afternoon Delight" was a 1970s hit song by the Starland Vocal Band, featuring close harmony and sexually suggestive lyrics. It became a #1 Billboard single on July 10, 1976. It has since become a shorthand for the excesses of the 70s, as well as soft rock, and has been ironically featured in many movies and television shows.
References in popular culture
- 1994: In the movie PCU, the song is used as a form of torture.
- 1995: In episode 125 of The Simpsons, Homer has a tattoo of the Starland Vocal Band
- 1997: In Good Will Hunting, Matt Damon's character uses it to taunt his therapist
- 1997: In Boogie Nights, it is used as the background to an early sex scene
- 1998: On episode 1.2 of the show Sports Night ("The Apology"), Casey's knowledge of the song rendered him unimpressive in Dan's eyes.
- 1998: In The Big Lebowski, end title.
- 2004: In Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Will Ferrell explains to his friends what it's like falling in love with Christina Applegate through an animated sequence set to the song.
- 2004: The song is played briefly in Starsky & Hutch
- 2004: On episode 2.06 of Arrested Development (originally aired 12/19/2004), the show was entitled "Afternoon Delight", and a recurring theme was how each of the characters didn't realize how dirty the song was until they started singing it out loud. 
- trivia about the song from SongFacts.com
- Author of the song Bill Danoff reflects on its use in pop culture
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details