Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Aga Khan is the title of the spiritual leader of a sect within the Ismaili branch of Islam (Nizari Ismaili). The first Imam to bear the title of Aga Khan was Aga Hasan Ali Shah in the mid 19th century. The hereditary Imam of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims is a direct descendant of the Prophet Muhammad through his cousin and son-in-law, Ali, the first Imam, and his wife Fatima, the Prophet's daughter. See .
List of those who have held the title of Aga Khan
- Aga Khan I = Aga Hasan Ali Shah = HH Shah Hasan Ali Shah Mehalatee Aga Khan I (1800-1881), 46th Imam (1817-1881)
- Aga Khan II = HH Ali Shah Aga Khan II (about 1830 - 1885), 47th Imam (1881-1885)
- Aga Khan III = HRH Prince Sultan Mohammed, (1877-1957), 48th Imam (1885-1957)
- Aga Khan IV = Karim Aga Khan = HH Prince Aga Khan IV = Prince Karim El Husseni (b. 1936), 49th Imam of the Ismailis (from 1957)
- The article on Ismailis has sections on Nizari Ismaili ("Aga Khani") View of Pre-20th Century History, a History of the Nizari Ismaili ("Aga Khani") Ismaili community in the 20th century, and The Nizari Ismaili ("Aga Khani") community today.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details