Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Aldersgate was a gate in the London Wall in the City of London, which has given its name to Aldersgate Street, a road leading north from the site of the gate, towards Clerkenwell in the London Borough of Islington.
The old gate was taken down in 1617, and rebuilt in the same year from a design by Gerard Christmas . The gate was damaged in the Great Fire of London, but was repaired and remained until 1761. Aldersgate Street contained the Bishop of London's Chapel and his chambers at London House, which was used from the eighteenth century because it was closer to St Paul's Cathedral than his official residence at Fulham. The street was also the site of the meeting room where John Wesley was converted in 1738, which is marked by a plaque.
Barbican tube station is located on Aldersgate Street, and was formerly known as Aldersgate station.
- 18th Century map showing the location of the gate (towards the bottom right corner)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details