Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- Area: 321 km2
- Inhabitants: ca. 60.000
Sonderburg, the capital, with a good harbour and a considerable trade, is connected with the mainland by a pontoon bridge. Other places of note are Norburg and Augustenburg. On the peninsula Kekenis at the south west end of Alsen there is a lighthouse. Here, in 1848, the Danes directed their main attack against Fieldmarshal Wrangel's army. In 1864 the Prussians under Herwarth von Bittenfeld took Alsen, which was occupied by 9000 Danish troops, thus bringing the Danish war to a close. Since 1870 Alsen has been fortified.
See also: List of islands of Denmark
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details