Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Angelina Jolie, (born Angelina Jolie Voight on June 4, 1975, Los Angeles, California, USA) is an American actress, who is as renowned for her exotic looks, full lips and tattoos, as well as for her acting ability. She is a respected artist and has received three Golden Globes, as well as an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Lisa Rowe in the film Girl, Interrupted. Additionally Jolie has starred in five student films, all of which were directed by her brother James Haven.
Jolie, the daughter of actor Jon Voight and Marcheline Bertrand, was born in Los Angeles, California and is of French descent. As a child she dreamt of becoming a funeral director. She attended the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute from the age of 11 and later completed a degree in film at New York University.
On March 28, 1996 she married British actor Jonny Lee Miller, with whom she had co-starred in the movie Hackers. Jolie attended her wedding in black leather trousers and a white shirt, which had her husband's name painted in her blood on the back. Jolie and Miller divorced on February 3, 1999. Jolie then married American actor Billy Bob Thornton on May 5, 2000, and together they adopted a son from Cambodia, Maddox Chivan Thornton Jolie, who was born on August 5, 2001. Jolie and Thornton divorced on May 27, 2003, and Jolie now has custody of Maddox.
Jolie has been long estranged from her father, actor Jon Voight, though a reconciliation was attempted by his appearing with her in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider. In the October 2004 issue of Premiere Magazine , Jolie indicated that she was no longer interested in pursuing a relationship with her father. Soon after he exploited a claim that she has "serious emotional problems" on Access Hollywood, she legally dropped Voight as her last name.
Jolie has been a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees since 2001, and frequently travels to far-flung countries to draw attention to the plight of people in Third World nations. In 2003, she published Notes from My Travels, a collection of journal entries chronicling her early work with the U.N.. In a January 2005 interview with Reuters, Jolie criticized fellow actors for not being committed enough in helping others, and stated at she gives one-third of her income to charitable organizations.
Jolie was also one of the first celebrities to accept an invitation to be one of the bearers of the Olympic Torch during the 2004 Olympic Games, though she was ultimately unable to participate due to filming commitments.
In the fall of 2004, it was reported that Jolie has started proceedings to adopt another child, this time from Russia.
Around the same time, Lauryn Galindo, the Hawaii-based adoption facilitator whose services Jolie had used to adopt Maddox, was sentenced to 18 months in prison after pleading guilty to visa fraud and money laundering charges. She had been falsifying records of children to be adopted in visa applications to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, and several of the children she placed had not been abandoned at all but were enticed away or bought from their birth families. It does not appear that Maddox was among them, although the investigation is continuing.
Besides her acting and humanitarian endeavors, Jolie also worked as a professional model in London, New York and Los Angeles and appeared in numerous music videos including those of Meat Loaf, Lenny Kravitz, and the Rolling Stones.
As of early 2005, Jolie has not had a substantial hit film in several years, with several of her movies, such as Alexander, Sky Captain, and the second Lara Croft film being major box office disappointments. She is also the voice of Lola in Shark Tale. Nonetheless her exotic looks and acting talent still make her one of Hollywood's most in-demand actresses.
In early 2005, Jolie found herself at the centre of a well-publicized Hollywood "scandal" when she was accused of being the "other woman" in the marital break-up of Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. The allegation was that she and Pitt had started an affair during filming of the yet-to-be-released spy comedy Mr. and Mrs. Smith, something she denies.
In March of 2005, Angelina Jolie was named the sexiest woman in the world by FHM magazine out of 15 million worldwide votes.
- the letter H (for her brother James Haven) on the inside of her left wrist
- "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages" (Tennessee Williams) on her left forearm
- a dragon on her left arm
- a large prayer for her son Maddox on her left shoulder which covers up the Japanese "death" tattoo.
- two pointy black tribals on the lower parts of her back
- Quod me nutrit me destruit (Latin for "What nourishes me destroys me") several inches below her navel
- a tilted Latin cross on the lower left of her abdomen
- a large Asian tiger on her back
- a dragon under the tiger
- a window between the two tribals on her lower back
- XIII (number 13 in roman) on her left forearm
- Arabic for "strength of will" (ﺍﻟﻌﺰﻳﻤﺔ) on her right forearm
- "know your rights" just under her neck between her shoulders
- "Billy Bob", the name of her latest husband Billy Bob Thornton, on her left arm.
- a Japanese symbol for courage now covered by the Tennessee Williams quote.
- a Japanese symbol for death (死) now covered by a prayer for Maddox
- a tattoo both Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina had a copy of. It was on her right forearm, now covered by the "strength of will" tattoo.
- a dragon she got in Amsterdam while drunk, now covered by the latin cross.
Jolie has gone on record as saying that a positive effect resulting from the large number of tattoos on her body is that, while she is not opposed to film nudity, filmmakers have been forced to become more creative when plotting any nude or love scenes involving her.
She has said she is bisexual.
She has continually denied rumors of an incestuous relationship with her brother, James Haven. During her acceptance speech for winning the Best Actress in a Supporting Role award for Girl Interrupted during the 2000 Academy Awards, Jolie stated "I'm so in love with my brother" which, combined with her affectionate behavior towards her brother that night, sparked the rumors.
Her nickname is Catwoman.
- Lookin' to Get Out (1982)
- Cyborg 2 (1993)
- Angela & Viril (1993) (short subject)
- Alice & Viril (1993) (short subject)
- Without Evidence (1995)
- Hackers (1995)
- Mojave Moon (1996)
- Love Is All There Is (1996)
- Foxfire (1996)
- Playing God (1997)
- Gia (1998)
- Hell's Kitchen (1998)
- Playing by Heart (1998)
- Pushing Tin (1998)
- The Bone Collector (1999)
- Girl, Interrupted (1999)
- Gone in Sixty Seconds (2000)
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001)
- Original Sin (2001)
- Life or Something Like It (2002)
- Trading Women (2003) (documentary) (narrator)
- Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (2003)
- Beyond Borders (2003)
- Taking Lives (2004)
- Shark Tale (2004) (voice)
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)
- The Fever (2004)
- Alexander (2004)
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005) (currently in post-production)
- The Good Shepherd (2005) (currently in pre-production)
- Love and Honor (2006) (currently announced start of production)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details