Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Antwerp (town), New York
The Town of Antwerp contains a village also called Antwerp. The town is on the northeast border of the county.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 280.9 km² (108.4 mi²). 276.9 km² (106.9 mi²) of it is land and 4.0 km² (1.5 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 1.42% water.
The northeast town line is the border of St. Lawrence County, New York.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 1,793 people, 621 households, and 453 families residing in the town. The population density is 6.5/km² (16.8/mi²). There are 717 housing units at an average density of 2.6/km² (6.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the town is 97.99% White, 0.39% Black or African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.39% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. 1.56% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 621 households out of which 35.9% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.0% are married couples living together, 8.5% have a female householder with no husband present, and 26.9% are non-families. 20.8% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.5% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.89 and the average family size is 3.32.
In the town the population is spread out with 29.8% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 27.3% from 25 to 44, 24.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.6% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 35 years. For every 100 females there are 102.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 99.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $34,250, and the median income for a family is $40,192. Males have a median income of $28,824 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the town is $13,097. 17.6% of the population and 12.3% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 22.5% of those under the age of 18 and 10.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in the Town of Antwerp
- Antwerp -- The Village of Antwerp is centrally located in the town by the Indian River.
- Bentleys Corners -- A location in the western part of the town on Route 23.
- Bishops Corners -- A location in the western corner of the town on Route 194.
- Fort Drum -- Part of the military reservation is in the town.
- Halls Corners -- A location in the western part of the town on Route 28.
- Indian River -- A stream and canoe trail that flows past Antwerp village.
- Keenes -- A hamlet on the northeast town line.
- Nauvoo -- A former location in the town.
- New Connecticut -- A former location in the town.
- Oxbow -- A hamlet by the northeast border on Route 25.
- Payne Lake -- A small lake in the northern part of the town near Oxbow.
- Rices Corner -- A hamlet in the eastern corner of the town on Route 24.
- Spragueville -- A hamlet on the northeast town line on Route 26.
- Sterlingburgh -- A former location in the town.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details