Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Asahikawa(旭川市; -shi) is a city located in Kamikawa Subprefecture, Hokkaido, Japan. Asahikawa is the capital of Kamikawa and the second-largest city in Hokkaido. It has been a Core city since April 1, 2000.
The second division of the northern army of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force is headquartered in Asahikawa.
The Ainu called the Asahi River Chiu Petsu meaning "River of Waves", but it was misunderstood as Chup Petsu meaning "Sun River", and so came to be called Asahi River (Asahi = Morning Sun)
- 1890 Kamikawa District set up under Ishikari Province with the villages of Asahikawa, Eiyama? and Kamui?
- 1900 Kamikawa Village becomes Kamikawa Town
- 1914 Kamikawa Town becomes Kamikawa-ku
- 1922 Kamikawa-ku becomes Kamikawa City
- 1955 Kamui? Village and Enibetsu?? Village merge with Asahikawa
- 1961 Eiyama? Town merged
- 1963 Higashiasahikawa Town merged
- 1968 Kagura Town merged
- 1971 Higashitakasu Town merged
- 1972 Japan's first permanent pedestrian mall Heiwadōri Shopping Park opened
- April 1, 2000 Asahikawa becomes a Core city
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details