Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Ashford, New York
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 133.0 km² (51.4 mi²). 132.9 km² (51.3 mi²) of it is land and 0.2 km² (0.1 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 0.12% water.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 2,223 people, 857 households, and 634 families residing in the town. The population density is 16.7/km² (43.3/mi²). There are 1,023 housing units at an average density of 7.7/km² (19.9/mi²). The racial makeup of the town is 96.99% White, 1.53% African American, 0.54% Native American, 0.18% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.09% from other races, and 0.67% from two or more races. 0.76% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 857 households out of which 33.6% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.7% are married couples living together, 8.3% have a female householder with no husband present, and 26.0% are non-families. 21.5% of all households are made up of individuals and 7.6% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.59 and the average family size is 3.03.
In the town the population is spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 5.7% from 18 to 24, 28.7% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.7% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 38 years. For every 100 females there are 98.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 98.5 males.
The median income for a household in the town is $41,313, and the median income for a family is $44,509. Males have a median income of $32,392 versus $21,500 for females. The per capita income for the town is $19,136. 6.3% of the population and 4.0% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 5.9% of those under the age of 18 and 6.5% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
Communities and locations in Ashford
- Ashford Hollow -- A hamlet in the southwest part of the town on Route 219.
- Beaver Siding -- A location in the southeast corner of the town south of West Valley.
- Bellow Corners -- A hamlet east of Ashford Hollow, located on Route 85.
- Edies Siding -- A hamlet in the northwest corner of the town by Cattaraugus Creek.
- Riceville -- A hamlet near the east town line on Route 44.
- Riceville Station -- A location west of Riceville on Route 240.
- Thomas Corners -- A hamlet in the northeast part of the town on Route 240.
- West Valley -- A hamlet in the southeast part of the town at the junction of Routes 53 and 240.
Adjacent towns and areas
The northern border is formed with the Town of Concord in Erie County, and the south border is created by the Towns of Ellicottville and Mansfield. To the west is the Town of East Otto. The east boundary is formed by the Towns of Machias and Yorkshire.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details