Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
This article is about Betty Davis the singer, the article about Bette Davis the actress can be found here
Mabry met Miles Davis in 1967 and married him in September 1968. In just one year of marriage she influenced him greatly, introducing him to Hendrix and Stone. This experience led to Miles publishing Bitches Brew. Regarding that, Betty Davis could be called Initiator of Fusion. The couple divorced after only one year of marriage.
In 1973 her first record, Betty Davis, was published. It had impressive lyrics and funkiness on songs such as Anti Love Song, as well as an impressive list of musicians:
- Neal Schon (Journey) - guitar
- Gregg Errico (Sly & The Family Stone) - drums
- Larry Graham (Sly & The Family Stone and eponym of Graham Central Station) - bass
- Patryce Banks (Graham Central Station) - percussion
- Willie Sparks (Graham Central Station) - drums
- Hershall Kennedy (Graham Central Station) - horns
- Greg Adams (Tower of Power) - horns
- Michael Gillette (Tower of Power) - horns
- Pointer Sisters
Tracks on Betty Davis
- If I'm In Luck I Might Get Picked Up
- Walkin Up The Road
- Anti Love Song
- Your Man My Man
- Ooh Yea
- Steppin In Her I. Miller Shoes
- Game Is My Middle Name
- In The Meantime
Betty Davis was not successful as a singer. Her open sexual attitude was controversial for the time. Some of her shows were boycotted and her songs not played on the radio due to pressure by religious groups.
Davis released two more studio albums, They Say I'm Different (1974) and Nasty Gal (1975). These albums were also not commercial successes. Davis stopped making music and returned to Pennsylvania.
Material from a 1979 recording session was eventually used for two further albums, Hangin' out in Hollywood (1995) and Crashin' from Passion (1996). A greatest hits album, Anti Love: The Best of Betty Davis, was released in 2000.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details