Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Bjarne Stroustrup (born June 11, 1950 in Aarhus, Denmark) is a computer scientist and the College of Engineering Chair Professor of Computer Science at Texas A&M University. He is most notable for developing the C++ programming language.
Stroustrup, in his own words, "invented C++, wrote its early definitions, and produced its first implementation... chose and formulated the design criteria for C++, designed all its major facilities, and was responsible for the processing of extension proposals in the C++ standards committee." Stroustrup also wrote what many consider to be the standard introductory text to the language, The C++ Programming Language, which is now in its third edition. The text has been revised twice to reflect the evolution of the language and the work of the C++ standards committee.
Stroustrup is cand. scient. (the Danish equivalent to a master's degree) in mathematics and computer science (1975) from the University of Aarhus, Denmark, and Ph.D. in computer science (1979) from Cambridge University, England. He formerly worked as the head of AT&T Lab's Large-scale Programming Research department, from its creation until late 2002.
Awards & accomplishments
- 1990 - Named one of "America's twelve top young scientists" by Fortune Magazine.
- 1993 - ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Grace Murray Hopper Award for early work on C++.
- 1995 - Byte magazine named Stroustrup one of the 20 most influential people in the computer industry.
- 1996 - Stroustrup was named an AT&T Fellow: "For fundamental contributions to the development of computer languages and object-oriented programming, culminating in the C++ programming language."
- 1998 - Stroustrup was named ACM Fellow: For his early work laying the foundations for the C++ programming language. Based on the foundations and Dr. Stroustrup's continuing efforts, C++ has become one of the most influential programming languages in the history of computing.
- 2004 - National Academy of Engineering, 2004
- 2004 - IEEE Computer Society 2004 Computer Entrepreneur Award
- The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup - Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 3rd edition (February 15, 2000); ISBN 0201700735
- The Design and Evolution of C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup - Addison-Wesley Pub Co; 1st edition (March 29, 1994); ISBN 0201543303
- The Annotated C++ Reference Manual by Margaret A. Ellis & Bjarne Stroustrup - Addison-Wesley Pub Co; (January 1, 1990); ISBN 0201514591
- Bjarne Stroustrup's homepage
- Meet Bjarne Stroustrup (Video)
- LinuxWorld's Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details