Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The original Z plan castle was built in 1567 by Clan Brodie but destroyed by fire in 1645 during the Montrose Campaigns . It was greatly expanded in 1824 by the architect William Burn who turned it into a fortified manor house.
Architecturally, the castle has a very well preserved central keep with two 5-storey towers on opposing corners. As with many fortified stately homes of the time it has no wall. It does however contain a guardroom and secret passages to help the occupants escape assassination attempts. The interior of the castle is also well preserved, containing fine antique furniture, oriental artefacts and painted ceilings.
An ancient pictish monument known as Rodney's Stone can be seen in the castle grounds.
Today the castle and surrounding woodlands are owned by the National Trust for Scotland and open to tourists throughout the summer months.
The Brodie family continue to live in one wing of the castle and in 2003 saw graves looted as part of a family squabble over inheritance.
The castle may be hired for weddings and indoor or outdoor events.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details