Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Usually involving free climbing in difficult conditions, buildering can be very dangerous and is often practiced outside of legal bounds, and is thus mostly undertaken at night-time. Adepts of buildering who are seen climbing on buildings without authorization are regularly met by police forces upon completing their exploit. Spectacular acts of buildering, such as free climbing skyscrapers, are usually accomplished by lone, experienced climbers, sometimes attracting large crowds of passers-by and media attention. These remain relatively rare.
Famous urban climbers
- Alain Robert has climbed the Empire State Building in New York, the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, the Sears Tower in Chicago and the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, among others.
- Dan Goodwin, aka Spider Dan climbed the Sears Tower in Chicago in 1981.
- George Willig climbed the World Trade Center.
- Heath Bunting noted for his climbing exploits at the Urban Olympics .
- Harry and Simon Westaway climbed the Palace of Westminster Clock Tower in London as an anti-war protest for Greenpeace.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details