Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
In 1954, Frank and Donald Thomas patented the Flame Broiler and started one of their own restaurants in Indianapolis, Indiana. It was under another name, but in 1956, they changed the name to Burger Chef. In the late 1950s they created the first "value combos" as a burger, fries, and cola were 45¢ or 50¢ with a milkshake. In 1968, the chain was purchased by General Foods. By 1970, they had nearly 1200 locations and redisigned the buildings and logos. After a tailspin, Hardee's bought them out in 1982. Hardee's closed every Burger Chef but one in Cookville, KY. That one was in Shefdom until 1996, when it changed its name to Pleasers. That Pleasers is still open.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details