Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a 1969 Western film which tells the story of two lighthearted outlaws who seem more inclined to trade quips than shots. It stars Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross, Strother Martin, Henry Jones, Jeff Corey , Cloris Leachman, Ted Cassidy, Kenneth Mars and Donnelly Rhodes . The film bore only limited resemblance to the actual Cassidy and partner, but popularized their legends nonetheless.
It won Academy Awards for Best Cinematography, Best Music, Original Score for a Motion Picture (not a Musical), Best Music, Song (Burt Bacharach and Hal David for "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head") and Best Writing, Story and Screenplay Based on Material Not Previously Published or Produced. It was nominated for Best Director, Best Picture and Best Sound.
The two starring roles were originally offered to Warren Beatty and Steve McQueen. Even Marlon Brando was considered at one point. When Newman and Redford came aboard, originally their roles were reversed, with Newman as Sundance and Redford as Cassidy.
- "I'm not crazy; I'm just colorful."
- "If he'd just pay me what he's paying them to stop me robbing him, I'd stop robbing him!"
- Butch Cassidy: You jump first.
- The Sundance Kid: No, I said.
- Butch Cassidy: What's the matter with you?
- The Sundance Kid: I can't swim.
- Butch Cassidy: Why you crazy--the fall will probably kill you.
- "Who are those guys?"
- The Sundance Kid: Listen, your job is to back me up, because you'd starve without me. And you, your job is to shut up!
- Etta: Butch, are you still thinking in there?
- Butch Cassidy: What the hell else is there to do?
- Butch Cassidy: He'll feel a lot better after he's robbed a couple of banks.
- Morons; I've got morons on my team. No-one is going to rob us going down the mountain. We have got no money going down the mountain. When we have got the money—on the way back—then you can sweat.
- You could at least have the decency to draw your guns!
I work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific railroad...
- Butch: Whatever they're selling, I don't want it.
- Sundance: You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at.
- Sundance: Don't you get sick of being right all the time?
- Sundance: Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?
- Butch: They can't track us over rock.
- Sundance: Tell them that!
- Remember the Maine!
- Who can forget it?
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details