Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
CSS George Page
|Decommissioned:||March 9, 1862|
|Fate:||Burned to prevent capture|
CSS George Page, a 410-ton sidewheel steamship, was originally built as a transport at Washington, D.C. in 1853. She was attached to the Quartermaster's Department of the United States Army, until captured by the Confederates at nearby Aquia Creek , Virginia in May 1861. Acquired by the Confederate States Navy, George Page, commanded by Lieutenant Charles Carroll Simms, CSN, was fitted out for river defense service, and sometime later renamed City of Richmond. Her upper works may have been removed at this time.
She operated in the Potomac River in the vicinity of Quantico Creek . On July 7, 1861 she was damaged by gunfire from USS Pocahontas . George Page was destroyed by her crew upon abandonment of the Evansport batteries on March 9, 1862.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details