Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
It was formed by the merger of several CSX Corporation subsidiaries that had been part of the predecessor Chessie System Railway and Seaboard Coast Line Industries,the first step being the 1982 amalgamation of SCL subsidiaries into the Seaboard System Railroad.
On June 23, 1997, CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern filed a joint application with the Surface Transportation Board (STB) for authority to purchase, divide and operate the assets of the 11,000-mile Consolidated Rail Corporation, (Conrail), which had been created in 1976 by bringing together several ailing northeastern railway systems into a government-owned corporation. On June 6, 1998, the STB approved the CSX-Norfolk Southern application and set Aug. 22, 1998, as the effective date of its decision. CSX acquired 42% of Conrail's assets (Norfolk Southern got the remaining 58%). As a result of the transaction, CSX's rail operations grew to include some 3,800 miles of the Conrail system (predominantly the former NYC). CSX began operating its trains on its portion of the Conrail network on June 1, 1999.
The 'C' and 'S' in the name stand for Chessie and Seaboard, while the X represents a combination of the two systems.
CSX executive officers
See CSX Corporation.
- 03-10-2013 05:06:04
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details