Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
One of the biggest castles in Ireland, Cahir Castle was built in 1142 by Conor O'Brien , Prince of Thomond, on an island in the river Suir. Now situated inside the town centre of Cahir, the castle is well preserved and has guided tour and audiovisual shows in multiple languages.
In 1375, the castle was granted to Butler, newly-created Baron of Cahir, for his loyalty to Edward III. The Butlers of Cahir sided with the Irish in the Elizabethan wars, and in 1599 the castle was captured after a three day siege by the army of the Earl of Essex.
In the Irish Confederate Wars in Ireland in the late 1640s that accompanied the English Civil War the castle was besieged twice. In 1647 George Mathews, the guardian of the young Lord Cahir, surrendered to Lord Inchiquin, after his victory at the battle of Knocknanauss. In 1650 he surrendered again to Oliver Cromwell, during his conquest of Ireland without a shot being fired.
The Great Hall was partly rebuilt in 1840.
In 1961 the last Lord Cahir died and the castle reverted to the state.
- Historic Irish Castles 
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details