Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Immediately surrounding towns and villages include Bagshot, Deepcut , Farnborough, Frimley and Sandhurst. The Old Dean is a council estate on the outskirts of Camberley, most of which was built in the 1950s on the "Old Dean Common" for residents of heavily bombed Surrey areas homeless after WW2. Incidentally, many of the roads on that half of the Old Dean are named after those areas (the others are named after places on the common).
Camberley is administered by Surrey County Council and Surrey Heath Borough Council . The parliamentary constituency is Surrey Heath and the MP is the Rt. Hon. Nicholas John Hawkins MP, a Conservative.
A settlement which became known as Yorktown grew up around the gates of the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in the 19th century. It grew in size with the arrival of the branch-line railway (the main-line passes through nearby Deepcut but there is no stop). Later, the Staff College was established to the east of the Academy, and a property speculator built the nearby Cambridge Hotel. The surrounding area became known as Cambridge Town, but was renamed Camberley in 1877 to avoid confusion with better-known town of the same name in Cambridgeshire. Camberley grew to become the largest town in the area, and Yorktown is now regarded as part of Camberley.
The name 'Camberley' is derived from two local features: the River Cam and Amber Hill, 'ley' being Old English for 'pasture' or 'clearing'.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details