Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Canterbury Association was formed in 1848 and was supported by a number of Members of Parliament and English peers, including the Archbishop of Canterbury. The capital city of the new colony was to be called Christ Church, in honour of the Oxford College that John Robert Godley attended. The agricultural settlement planned was to be made up of selected Anglican families, with the land sold to the settlers to raise money for the building of schools, roads, and churches. The Canterbury Association bought the land from the New Zealand Company. The rural sections were sold in lots of no less than 50 acres (200,000 m²) for 3 an acre. The land in the city, which was 1,000 acre (4 km²), was divided into quarter acre (1 km²) sections, and balloted out to the new settlers. The Association hoped to establish a colony of 15,000 people, with a bishop and a cathedral, 21 clergy, and 20 schoolmasters. Twelve shiploads of settlers were planned, with the first four leaving England in September 1850.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details