Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- In 1952, a film of Theodore Dreiser's novel Sister Carrie was made under the title Carrie; for that film, see: Sister Carrie. For the digital library see Carrie (digital library).
The book uses false documents to frame the story of Carrie White, a teenager who has been bullied at home for years by her vindictive Christian fundamentalist mother. She does not fare much better at school either: at the beginning of the novel, she has her first period while showering after her P.E. class. Instead of sympathizing with Carrie, the other girls use this opportunity to taunt her. However, Carrie gradually discovers that she has telekinetic powers. Carrie tries to keep these powers under control, but after she is humiliated in front of her school at their senior prom, she wreaks havoc on the entire school and, when returning home, her mother.
Movie and musical adaptations
Brian de Palma directed a film version of Carrie in 1976 with Sissy Spacek as Carrie. Amy Irving, William Katt, Betty Buckley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Allen and John Travolta are also featured. A much-belated sequel appeared in 1999; it featured another girl with telekenetic powers (who is eventually revealed to have shared a father with Carrie), but the overall plot was painfully similar to the first story. A TV movie remake was released in 2002.
A 1988 Broadway musical, starring Betty Buckley, Linzi Hateley , and Darlene Love closed after only five performances and 16 previews. An English pop opera filtered through Greek tragedy, the show was such a notorious turkey it provided the title to Ken Mandelbaum 's survey of theatrical disasters, Not Since Carrie: Forty Years of Broadway Musical Flops.
- ISBN 0606008233 (prebound, 1975)
- ISBN 0385086954 (hardcover, 1990)
- ISBN 1567800572 (paperback, 1992)
- ISBN 0816156883 (library binding, 1994, Large Type Edition)
- ISBN 8401499666 (hardcover, 1999)
- ISBN 0671039733 (paperback, 2000)
- ISBN 0606205942 (prebound, 2001)
- ISBN 0609810901 (paperback, 2001)
- ISBN 0671039725 (paperback, 2002)
- ISBN 8401498880 (hardcover)
- ISBN 0743470605 (mass market paperback)
Internet Movie Database entries:
- Internet Broadway Database entry for Carrie
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details