Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Cavan-Millbrook-North Monaghan, Ontario
The original township of Cavan and Millbrook was surveyed by John Dyell in 1817, and was named after County Cavan in Ireland, from which many of its settlers had emigrated. By 1819 there were 244 settlers, and by 1861 the population had risen to 4901, most of whom were descendants of United Empire Loyalists, veterans of the War of 1812 who had been granted land there, or the original settlers from Ireland. After Confederation in 1867, the population began to drop as many families left for Western Canada.
The original Irish settlers were Protestants, and many of them were associated with the Orange Order. In the mid-19th century the "Cavan Blazers" were established as a fiercely Protestant vigilante group, who often burned down the farms of Catholic settlers.
Cavan and Millbrook Townships became part of Peterborough County in 1974, and were amalgamated, along with North Monaghan, into one Township in 1998. The Township consists of the hamlets of Cavan, Ida, Springville, Fraserville, North Monaghan, and village of Millbrook. The population of the township in 2001 was 8,453.
- % Change (1996 – 2001): 2.4
- Dwellings: 2,951
- Area (sq. km.): 306.13
- Density (persons per sq. km.): 27.6
- Cedar Valley
- Mount Pleasant
- South Monaghan
|West: Kawartha Lakes
||East: Peterborough, Otonabee-South Monaghan|
|South: Port Hope|
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details