Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Charles Paulet, 2nd Duke of Bolton
He was son to Charles Paulet, 1st Duke of Bolton and Mary Scrope , daughter of Emanuel Scrope, 1st Earl of Sunderland .
He was lord-lieutenant of Hampshire and of Dorset, a commissioner to arrange the union of England and Scotland; and was twice a lord justice of the kingdom. He was also lord chamberlain of the royal household; governor of the Isle of Wight; and for two short periods was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.
According to Jonathan Swift this Duke was a "great booby."
Marriages and Children
Charles married three times:
- First on February 8, 1682/1683 to Frances Ramsden (baptised June 14, 1661 - November 22, 1696), daughter of William Ramsden and Elizabeth Palmes. They had four children:
- Frances Paulet. She was married in 1708 to John Mordaunt (d. April 5, 1710), son of Henry Mordaunt, 3rd Earl of Peterborough and Carey Fraser.
- Charles Paulet, 3rd Duke of Bolton (September 3, 1685 - August 26, 1754).
- Harry Paulet, 4th Duke of Bolton (July 24, 1691 - October 9, 1759). He married Catherine Parry (d. April 25, 1744). The marriage resulted in the birth of Charles Paulet, 5th Duke of Bolton , Harry Paulet, 6th Duke of Bolton and daughters Catherine Paulett and Henrietta Paulett.
- Mary Paulet.
- Secondly on July 10, 1689 to Margaret Coventry (September 14, 1657 - February 7, 1681/1682), daughter to George Coventry, 3rd Baron Coventry and Margaret Tufton. Margaret was daughter to John Tufton, 2nd Earl of Thanet and Margaret Sackville, daughter of Richard Sackville, 3rd Earl of Dorset and Anne Clifford, 14th Baroness de Clifford . The Baroness was daughter of George Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland and Lady Margaret Russell , daughter of Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford and Margaret St. John. No children resulted from this marriage.
- He was married arround 1697 to Henrietta Crofts (d. February 27, 1729/1730), a natural daughter of James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth and Eleanor Needham . They had a son:
- Lord Nassau Paulet (d. 1741). He married Isabella Tufton, daughter of Thomas Tufton, 6th Earl of Thanet and Lady Catherine Cavendish.
His son Charles, 3rd Duke of Bolton was first married on July 21, 1713 to Lady Anne Vaughan (d. September 20, 1751), daughter of John Vaughan, Earl of Carberry and his wife Lady Anne Savile. She was grandaughter to George Savile, 1st Marquess of Halifax and Lady Dorothy Spencer , daughter of Henry Spencer, 1st Earl of Sunderland and Lady Dorothy Sydney . She had other useful political and social connections through her maternal aunt Lady Dorothy Savile, wife of Richard Boyle, Earl of Cork and Burlington, and her cousin Lady Charlotte Boyle, wife of the 4th Duke of Devonshire.
Lady Anne Vaughan's great-granddaughter Lady Dorothy Sydney was herself daughter to Robert Sidney, 2nd Earl of Leicester and Lady Dorothy Percy , granddaughter to Henry Percy, 9th Earl of Northumberland and Dorothy Devereux . Dorothy was daughter to Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex and Lettice Knollys, granddaughter to Sir Francis Knollys , Knight of the Garter since 1593, and Catherine Carey. Catherine was daughter to William Carey and the more famous Mary Boleyn.
The marriage was not a happy one, and there were no children.
A widowed 3rd Duke of Bolton was married on October 20, 1751 to Lavinia Fenton (d. January 17, 1760), nee Bestwick, a noted actress, who had been his mistress since 1728. They had three sons together, of whom none could inherit the dukedom. At least one of the three illegitimate sons had issue, including a clergyman the Rev. Charles Powlett, with whom the writer Jane Austen was acquainted.
His son (by his 2nd marriage to a granddaughter of King Charles II of England and Lucy Walter) Lord Nassau Powlett married Lady Isabella Tufton, daughter of Thomas Tufton, 6th Earl of Thanet and Lady Catherine Cavendish, a daughter of Henry Cavendish, 2nd Duke of Newcastle and Frances Pierrepont, herself daughter of the Honourable William Pierrepont.
The marriage resulted in the birth of daughter Isabella Paulet (d. September 8, 1821). She was married on June 4, 1765 to John Perceval, 3rd Earl of Egmont (January 23, 1738 - February 25, 1822). They were parents to John Perceval, 4th Earl of Egmont (August 13, 1767 - December 31, 1835) and grandparents to Henry Perceval, 5th Earl of Egmont (January 3, 1796 - December 23, 1841) who died with no known descendants.
|Duke of Bolton||Succeeded by:|
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details