Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Work on building the reservoir started in 1796 and it was opened on 8th May 1797. In May 1799 the eastern dam burst, flooding the valley below. Work started soon to rebuild the dam which re-opened on 2nd January 1800 to supply water to the Wyrley & Essington Canal, and it quickly became a profit-centre for the canal company, selling water to other canals in the area.
Legislation to close the canal was enacted in 1954. The reservoir became known as Norton Pool . Brownhills Urban District Council purchased Norton Pool in 1956 for £5,600 which was for a total area of 272 acres (1 km²) and 2 cottages, from the British Transport Commission and renamed it Chasewater.
The surrounding area is designated as a country park. The reservoir hosts a variety of activities including water-skiing, sailing, angling and bird watching. Running around Chasewater is the Chasewater Railway.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details