Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- Located on the bank of Tyasmyn river.
- Altitude: 124 m above mean sea level
In the first half of the 16th century, Chyhyryn is first mentioned as a fortified Cossack winter station. In 1592, after becoming the center of Chyhyryn county, the city was granted the Magdeburg rights. In 1638, Bohdan Khmelnytsky became its starosta (regional leader), and in 1648 became the newly elected hetman's residence and the capital of the Cossack Hetmanate.
In 1660, the capital was moved to Baturyn, and after Chyhyryn was raided by the Turks in 1678 it gradually lost its significance. It remained the center of the Chyhyryn regiment until 1712 and upon incorporation into the Russian Empire (1793) it became part of the Kiev region.
The Trinity Monastery, built near Chyhyryn in 1627, was later destroyed by the Soviet authorities. Other historical landmarks, such as the town hall and Khmelnytsky's palace, did not survive either and today there are only remnants of fortifications.
Minor industry, such as food and furniture factories, exist in the town today.
The area code is +38 (04730).
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details