Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Christian Social People's Party
The Christian Social People's Party (Luxembourgish: Chrėschtlech Sozial Vollekspartei - CSV) is the largest political party in Luxembourg. It is led by Jean-Claude Juncker, who is the current Prime Minister, and governs in coalition with the *Luxembourg Socialist Workers Party (LSAP). Since the 2004 election, it has 24 of 60 seats in the Chamber of Deputies . Since WWII, the party has taken part in all coalition governments in Luxembourg with only one exception (1975-1979).
- 1914: The earliest archives of the CSV date back to the 16. January 1914.
- 1944: The party was officially created.
- 1945: The first elections after WWII took place, the party got 25 out of 51 seats, missing an absolute majority by a single seat.
- 1946 - 1974: The party was in government from 1946 to 1974 and gave Luxembourg the following prime ministers: Pierre Dupong , Joseph Bech , Pierre Frieden , Pierre Werner and Jacques Santer. Mostly in a coalition with the Democratic Part (DP), it gave Luxembourg a certain economic and social stability.
- 1974: The party goes into opposition for the first time.
- 1979: The party gets back into government, Pierre Werner becomes PM.
- 1984: Jacques Santer becomes PM
- 1995: JeanClaude Junker becomes PM, Jacques Santer becomes President of the European Union
- 2004: The party is currently in a coalition with the Luxembourg Socialist Workers Party, it has 24 out of 60 seats
- CSV website[[lb:Chrėschtlech Sozial Vollekspartei]
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details