Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Claude Allègre used to work at the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (Paris Institute for the Physics of the Globe).
His important scientific work on geochemistry won him:
- the Crafoord Prize for geology,
- the Wollaston Medal of the Geological Society of London,
- the Golden Medal of the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
He is a member of:
- French Academy of Sciences, elected member on November 6, 1995.
- United States National Academy of Sciences (foreign associate)
A member of the French Socialist Party, he is better known to the general public for his past political responsibilities, which included being Minister of Education of France in the Jospin cabinet, from June 4, 1997 to March 2000, when he was replaced by Jack Lang. His frequent outpours of allegations against teaching personnel, as well as his reforms had made him increasingly unpopular in the teaching world.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details