Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Clone troopers are fictional soldiers from the Star Wars saga. The precursors of the stormtroopers seen in the classic trilogy that laid the foundations of the Galactic Empire, clone troopers first appeared in Attack of the Clones, and returned in Revenge of the Sith. In both films, the troopers are completely computer-generated; not a single clone trooper suit was ever built for either film.
The clone troopers were created by the cloners on Kamino, as part of the secret Army of the Republic commissioned by the mysterious Sifo-Dyas. The clone troopers were cloned from, and trained by, Jango Fett, outfitted with armour styled on Fett's Mandalorian battle armour, and armed with weapons and vehicles from Rothana Heavy Engineering.
The Battle of Geonosis marked the first engagement of the Clone Wars, and the first battle for the clone troopers. Working with precise coordination to rescue the remnants of Mace Windu's Jedi strike team, the clone army fought the Separatist forces on the rocky surface of Geonosis. Downing countless Confederate transports, the clones earned their first victory.
Following that battle, the clone troopers were spread throughout the galaxy to engage the Confederacy of Independent Systems. After three years, the Confederacy was defeated, but the clone troopers had one more mission to fufill. When the Galactic Empire was formed, on the orders of Chancellor Palpatine, now Emperor–preme control over the clones–soldiers of the Republic turned on the Jedi Knights. (The clone troopers in ROTS have armor which is supposed to be a cross between stormtrooper and Mandalorian armor.)
The clone troopers became Palpatine's loyal stormtroopers, though by the time of A New Hope, most of the original clones had been replaced by recruits from the Imperial Academy. According to one of the Star Wars Empire comics, only one survived to fight for the Rebel Alliance in the Galactic Civil War, Able-1707 who was stranded on a planet for 20 years after his unit was decimated in an attempt to destroy Separatist Confederate forces attacking them. He later became an Alliance intelligence agent and his fate is unknown.
During the Clone Wars, a number of special clone trooper squads were created. These included:
- ARC troopers, or the Advanced Recon Commando trooper; deadly soldiers representing the elite of the Republic armed forces.
- ARC trooper Captains, leading the deadly ARC troopers
- Clone SCUBA troopers, adapted to work and fight underwater.
- Clone trooper pilots, trained to fly anything from a military speeder to a Venator-class Star Destroyer.
- Clone trooper commanders, tasked with leading squads of clones into battle. Many of these commanders were grown with more capacity for independent thought than their troops, and were sometimes known by names rather than numbers. Notable clone commanders included Cody, Bly, Gree , Bacara Appo , Neyo and Thire .
- Clone commandos, or Republic Commandos, seen in action in the video game of the same name.
- Clone trooper captains, tasked with leading 144 Clone troopers (16 squads) into battle.
Rank of the troopers is determined by color worn on their helmet, arm and shoulders armor.
- Light green-Sergeant; command squads, made of 9 troops
- Blue-Lieutenant; command platoons, made of 36 troops
- Red-Captain; command companies, made of 144 troops
- Yellow-Commander; command regiments, made of 2,304 troops
Towards the end of the Clone Wars, armour markings designate legion affiliation and position as opposed to rank
- Clone Lancer Trooper
- Clone Jet Trooper
- Clone SCUBA Trooper
- ARC Trooper (Advanced Recon Commando)
- Clone Commando (Republic Commando)
- Clone trooper pilot
- CT-series clone trooper pilot
- Clone Sharpshooter
- BARC Trooper (Biker Advanced Recon Commando)
- Clone Swamp Trooper
- Clone Shock Trooper
- AT-RT Driver
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details