Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Colorado School of Mines
The Colorado School of Mines, located in the town of Golden, was originally founded in 1873 by the Episcopal Church, but in 1874 it was transferred to the Territory of Colorado. It became a state institution when Colorado attained statehood in 1876.
Golden, Colorado, established in 1859 as Golden City, served as a supply center for miners and settlers in the area. In 1866, Bishop George M. Randall arrived in the territory and, seeing a need for higher education facilities in the area, began planning for a university which would include a school of mines. In 1870, he opened the Jarvis Hall Collegiate School in a building just south of the town of Golden and in 1873, the School of Mines opened under the auspices of the Episcopal Church. In 1874, School of Mines became a territorial institution and has been a state institution since 1876 when Colorado attained statehood. Courses offered to students during the early years included chemistry, metallurgy, mineralogy, mining engineering, geology, botany, math and drawing. The focus of the early academic programs was on gold and silver, and, in particular, the assaying of those minerals. As the institution grew, its mission expanded to include petroleum engineering, earth sciences, environmental engineering, materials science and applied sciences.
The first building on the current site of the school was built in 1880 with additions completed in 1882 and 1890. The building, known as "Chemistry Hall," stood where Hill Hall is now located. The next building to be added to the campus was Engineering Hall built in 1894 which is still in use today. Other firsts include the first Board of Trustees meeting held in 1879; the first formal commencement held in 1883 for two graduates; the first international student graduated in 1889; and the first female student graduated in 1898. In 1879, there was some discussion about merging School of Mines and the State University in Boulder. Apparently, because of the specialized focus of School of Mines, it was decided that such a merger would not be appropriate. During the early years of the institution the chief administrator was the "Professor in Charge." The designation President was first used in 1880. John U. Trefny, the current CSM President, was appointed in 2000. The "M" on Mt. Zion, a prominent feature in the Golden area, was constructed in 1908 and lighted in 1932.
Early academic "departments" were "draughting," physics, metallurgy, chemistry and mining. In the 1920's, departments were formed in geology, petroleum engineering and geophysics. Petroleum refining was added in 1946. Current degree-granting departments are Chemical Engineering and Petroleum Refining, Chemistry and Geochemistry, Economics and Business, Engineering, Environmental Science and Engineering, Geology and Geological Engineering, Geophysics, Mathematical and Computer Sciences, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Mining Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, and Physics. The Division of Liberal Arts and International Studies and the Department of Physical Education and Athletics provide nontechnical educational opportunities for Mines students. Other facilities include: Parker Student Center, Arthur Lakes Library, Computing Center and the Edgar Mine.
The Colorado School of Mines is a public research university devoted to engineering and applied science. It has the highest admissions standards of any university in Colorado and among the highest of any public university in the U.S. CSM has distinguished itself by developing a curriculum and research program that is geared towards responsible stewardship of the earth and its resources. In addition to strong education and research programs in traditional fields of science and engineering, CSM is one of a very few institutions in the world having broad expertise in resource exploration, extraction, production and utilization. As such, CSM occupies a unique position among the world's institutions of higher education.
The school is home to the second oldest mountainside monument in the United States. Perched on Mount Zion above the campus, every evening, the stone monument of the school's M logo is illuminated from behind providing an outline on the hill. During holidays and special occasions, such as finals week, the structure is illuminated different colors and patterns to reflect the season.
List of majors
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details