Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
County Cork (Contae Chorcaí in Irish) is the most southwesterly and the largest of the modern counties of Ireland. The county is often referred to as "The Rebel County" because it has often taken a position in major conflicts different to that of most of Ireland. The county's attractions include the Blarney Stone and Cobh (formerly Queenstown), the port where many Irish emigrants boarded for their voyage to the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or South Africa. Cork City, the county's capital, is the second largest ciy in the Republic of Ireland
The remote west of the county, known as West Cork, is a popular destination for tourists, who visit the small villages and islands including Sherkin Island, Clear Island and Dursey Island. Mizen Head, the "southwesternmost point in Ireland" is also in West Cork, as is Sheep's Head.
In recent years land in the far west of the county has become in high demand internationally, and large numbers of EU citizens have settled in the area, along with celebrities such as Jeremy Irons and director Neil Jordan. West Cork is noted for its rugged natural beauty, fine beaches and distinct social atmosphere, which is more relaxed than most of the country.
West Cork has a disporpotionately large population of artisans, musicians, poets and playwrights.
In 1601 the decisive battle of Kinsale (Cath Cionn tSáile) took place in County Cork, which was to lead to British domination of the island of Ireland for centuries.
County Cork has two gaeltacht areas where the Irish language is still the primary medium of everyday speech. These are Múscraí in the north of the county and Oileán Chléire, or Cape Clear, an island in the west accessible by ferry.
Towns and Villages
- Aghabullogue, Allihies
- Ballincollig, Ballycotton, Ballylickey, Ballinhassig, Ballydehob, Ballygarvan, Baltimore, Bandon, Bantry, Barleycove, Blarney, Buttevant
- Carrigaline, Castletownbere, Castletownshend, Castlemartyr, Charleville, Clonakilty, Cloyne, Coachford, Cobh, Cork, Courtmacsherry, Crookhaven, Crosshaven
- Dunmanway, Doneraile
- Glandore, Glanmire, Glengarriff, Glounthaune, Goleen, Gougane Barra
- Kanturk, Kinsale
- Macroom, Mallow, Midleton, Millstreet, Mitchelstown, Monkstown
- Ringaskiddy, Rosscarbery, Rylane
- Schull, Shanagarry, Skibbereen
- Union Hall
- Cork County Council
- Guide to County Cork for Tourism & Business
- Activities Events, West Cork Ireland
- West Cork Directory
- Peoples Republic Of Cork
- Cork's local radio station, streaming live online
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details