Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
County of the City of Coventry
The county covered an area of around 20 square miles and contained the city of Coventry and the surrounding villages of Ansty, Asthull , Biggin , Caludon , Exhall , Foleshill Harnell , Horwell , Pinley , Radford, Stoke, Styvechale , Wood End , Wyken , Walsgrave .
King Henry VI granted Coventry the status of a county in itself, largely to reward the city for the support the city had given him.
County status enabled Coventry to control its own assize and gaol, and the city's ballifs became sherrifs - officers to the king.
Coventry remained a separate county, until disputes over ratings with the villages which formed the county, resulted in the county being abolished by the 'Coventry Boundary Act of 1842' which re-merged Coventry with Warwickshire.
The county covered an area similar to that covered by the modern city. Apart from Ansty and Exhall , all of the places which formed part of the county are now within the city boundaries.
- Coventry: History and Guide, by David McGrory (1993) p42-43 and 89.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details